History

The Story of Thurnham Church

Chapter One

In 1539 Henry VIII proclaimed that all monasteries and abbeys were corrupt and sinful. He appointed a commission to visit each and every one and invariably they found some reason for closing the establishment down.

The monks and nuns were pensioned off and if the abbey church could not be converted into a parish church it had its lead removed from the roof and all its treasures looted. Bolton Abbey near Skipton is one which survived as a parish church but the one at Cockersand was doomed.

Lancashire had always had a strong Catholic tradition and the move away from the Pope met with considerable resistance. Indeed it has been said that there were more Catholics at the end of Elizabeth’s reign than there were at the beginning

The Lord Bishop of Chester reported in 1590 that “the number of the recusants is great, and doth daillie increase” That same year, Elizabeth’s Secretary of State, Lord Burghley noted on a specially commissioned map of Lancashire the sites of numerous houses occupied by notable Catholics. Certain names are marked with ‘+’ as requiring special attention. One of those names was Dalton, of Thurnham Hall. The map is in the British Museum.

The local gentry were mainly staunch Catholics and as they held most of the powerful local offices of state, such as magistrates, judges and the like, they were able to resist the persecution of those who refused to turn to the new state religion

The story of Edmund Arrowsmith illustrates this. He was arrested and warned by the authorities a number of times. By the time he was brought to court he had been in the area as a priest for 14 years. When the day of his execution arrived in Lancaster, tradition has it that the executioner and his assistants refused to carry out the deed. A search was made for a volunteer and an army deserter incarcerated in the prison agreed, for a pardon and a cash payment.

All the existing churches such as at Cockerham had converted to the state religion, although it is said that Shireshead ignored the rules for years before the authorities discovered. Even Lancashire was not going to be able to openly celebrate Mass.

The country houses of the Catholic gentry became the secret Mass centres. We know that Thurnham and Claughton near Garstang were two such. The ingenious priest holes built to hide them from the authorities are still being discovered today around the Country.

The story which follows is not typical but it does show how the Catholic faith was preserved and eventually brought back into a public presence in one particular corner of Lancashire.

-oOo-

Chapter Two

Being without churches, Catholic priests tended to adopt an itinerant role, travelling around the countryside and ministering to the flock as they found them. These priests were highly vulnerable unless they had a system of contacts that modern spies would have been proud of. The safer method was to travel from safe house to safe house. The safest was to be adopted by a local important family.

As previously stated, one of the country houses which provided such a shelter was Thurnham Hall. From 1556 it was owned by the Dalton family who were staunch Catholics—although the first Dalton, Robert, married Anne Kytchen whose father, John, was one of the commissioners who dissolved Cockersand Abbey and acquired the abbey lands as a result. The Daltons were to become immensely rich, owning considerable land including quarries which employed a good number of Lancaster people.

It is said that a chapel was built within the hall but no trace of it remains. Records of the time are scarce and details of Catholic activities necessarily brief.

The first known resident priest was Rev. John North, son of John North of Docker Hall, north of Lancaster. He was baptised at Whittington, near Kirkby Lonsdale on 11 August 1602, educated at Douai and ordained a priest at Arras on 5 April 1631. After serving in Lisbon for a time, he came to England and served in Westmorland for some years before becoming chaplain at Thurnham.

His successor was Rev. Henry Holden, son of Richard Holden of Chaigley Manor, north of Preston. He served with Colonel Thomas Dalton at the Battle of Newbury, went into exile to Paris and was ordained a priest in the mid 1650’s. There is a record of him at Thurnham in 1675 when “he had long been there.” He died there in 1688.

The next chaplain on record is Rev. Thomas Taylor, son of John Taylor of Park Hall, Quernmore. He was educated at the English College in Valladolid where he was ordained on 22 February 1701. He came to England and was appointed to Thurnham. He was involved in the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion with his master, John Hoghton-Dalton. They are named as traitors by the Commissioners for Forfeited Estates. Fr. Taylor apparently died in 1731.

In the meantime there is a record of a Rev. James Swarbrick, who was known as “The Riding Priest” He was captured in 1715, perhaps as part of the backlash against the Jacobites. He was convicted at the Lancaster Assizes in August 1716 and condemned to death. He died in his cell the night before he was to be executed. The Parish owns a small chalice which was presented by descendants of Fr. Swarbrick.

In 1729 a record of Rev. James Gaunt is noted.

There followed a period of itinerant or riding priests of whom we know of Rev. William Calvert, of Cockerham Hall who died in 1735

Rev. William Foster, alias Daniel, was appointed in 1741 or 1742. He had to leave Thurnham at the time of the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion. In his place we have a Rev. Edward Carteret SJ. Fr. Carteret was born in London in 1689 or 1691, ordained in 1709 and appointed to Thurnham in 1745. He served until 1752 and died in Wigan in 1753. He is buried in the Wigan Parish Churchyard.

Thurnham was then served by Rev. John Serjeant from Scorton until the arrival of Rev. Christopher More SJ, whose sister Bridget had married Robert Dalton as his third wife. In consequence Fr. More was invited to accept the chaplaincy in 1767. In 1774 he moved to Bath when the Daltons went to live there. He died there on 27 November 1781.

For a short period the area was again looked after by Fr. John Serjeant from Scorton until the arrival of Rev. Robert Banister in late 1774. Fr. Banister stayed for some 9 years, moving on to Mowbreck Hall at Kirkham.

Fr. Serjeant took over the care of the area from 1783 until he was succeeded by Rev. James Foster in 1785. Fr. Foster was the son of James Foster, the tenant farmer of Ashton Hall where he was born on 14 February 1747. He was ordained in 1771. He worked in Yorkshire from 1775 until his appointment to Thurnham.

In addition to these there are notes of Rev. Edward Gilpin, Rev. James Parkinson, Rev. John White and Rev. James Tyrer who served the people of Thurnham during this period.

Overall there is a clear picture of some 150 years of Catholic presence in the Thurnham District, continuing to serve in times of immense peril.

However well the priests served the area, however, they were restricted by the available accommodation.

When John Dalton moved to Bath with Rev. Christopher More he left the Hall in the care of a family called Valentine. Presumably they were there to collect rents and remit them to the Dalton’s. They certainly do not appear to have kept the house in a good state of repair. The final straw was when the ceiling fell in as the parishioners were leaving the room in which they had just heard Mass.

-oOo-

Chapter Three

In July 1780, Miss Jane Daniel died. She lived in Euxton, a small hamlet to the west of Chorley. She had two brothers who were Catholic priests. A relative of hers founded the Willows School in Kirkham.

In her will she left £1000 “to establish a clergy priest of Douai College in Lancaster” and “with the Bishop’s approbation”, she “would have him fixed at Thurnham, or in the neighbourhood.” She further requested that her cousin, Rev. James Foster, be that first priest.

She challenged John Dalton to either endow the priest or “grant a house and bit of land”. John Dalton agreed and granted 7 acres of land. It was intended to provide an income to keep the priest but Dalton in future years was to joke that it “was not sufficient to keep a cow but enough to starve one”.

By 11 April 1785, the money had been handed over, the land transferred and Fr. Foster in place. This is the official date of the founding of the parish of Thurnham.

For the first 3 years, Fr. Foster lived in Lancaster and travelled to Thurnham each Sunday. The Hall was in no state to be lived in.

Following the ceiling collapse he wrote to Mr Dalton in Bath. Dalton wrote back to tell him to demolish the Hall. Knowing that he did not have alternative accommodation in which to say Mass, Fr. Foster refused. Mr Dalton appears to have decided to restore the property and eventually return to Thurnham.

Fr. Foster had opened a Building Fund with the intention of building a house and chapel. Miss Daniel’s money was in a trust and after 5 years of interest he had £497 14s 0d (£497.70) available.

With this he laid the foundations of both the house and the chapel. Work was slow as the money ran out and donations were being sought. By the time he had finished the house and built the shell of the chapel the money had gone.

During this time the Hall was undergoing renovation and the congregation were able to attend Mass there.

By 1802 the house was ready to be lived in and Fr Foster gave a ball to celebrate. The Daltons had returned to Thurnham and were invited along with Lady Ann Hamilton from Ashton Hall.

For the next 15 years he lived at the house and celebrated Mass at the Hall. Each day he had to walk past the empty shell of his unfinished chapel.

After years of appealing to them, the three largest and wealthiest landowners of the district met together in 1817 – John Dalton, Robert Gillow of Clifton Hill at Forton and Gillow’s cousin, Richard Worswick who lived at Ellel Grange. At this meeting they agreed to subscribe £50 each and to defray one third each of the remaining cost for the completion of the chapel. They did, however, stipulate that they would have to be made exempt from the payment of the rent charge on their family pews.

Fr. Foster, Mr Gillow and Mr Worswick supervised the continuing work and its costings. When the £150 ran out, however, Mr Dalton refused to pay his third of the balance and it fell to Robert Gillow and Richard Worswick to pay one half or £42 13s 10d (£42.69) each.

The total cost had been £1588 11s 11d (£1588.60) of which Fr. Foster had contributed £555. 10s 3d (£555.51).

In 1818 the new chapel was ready and opened for Divine service. It was described as of “conventicle” style which suggests it was very plain. 1818 was not the year to be announcing a Catholic church.

Fr. Foster now took upon himself the expense of furnishing the chapel. We know that his brother Joseph bought vestments in Dublin at a cost of £4 9s 4d (£4.47) and we know that his chalice cost £5.

For a further 6 years he served his parishioners faithfully. The chapel was regularly full and he converted a good number of them himself. He was loved by all his people and the descendants of his parents’ original employers invited him to stay at Ashton Hall at any time and expected him every week.

After 38 years and 10 months as parish priest of Thurnham he died on 7 February 1824. He was 77 years old and had been a priest for 50 years. A simple note added at the bottom of his will shows his entire goods and estate to be valued at less than £450.00.

He was buried just outside his chapel. Today that is just inside the present church along the western wall close to the third pillar from the front.

R.I.P.

-oOo-

Chapter Four

The next parish priest was Fr. Thomas Crowe. Fr. Crowe was born in Preston. His father, John, was a landowner and was originally from Co. Durham. His father died while Thomas was still a youngster and he was sent to Sedgely Park to be educated.

Sedgley Park was a Catholic private school near Newcastle under Lyme. It opened in 1763 and closed in 1873. The majority of its pupils became priests although there are Members of Parliament and doctors among its old boys. At the time of its opening it was still illegal to be taught by a Catholic.

Thomas was sent home from Sedgley as he was considered too sickly. He eventually completed his studies for the priesthood at Ushaw College in Durham.

After ordination he was appointed to Croston in West Lancashire but spent some six months between 1821 and 1822 assisting Fr. Foster. On Fr. Foster’s death he was appointed as his successor.

Fr. Crowe was a tireless worker for the parish. He is recorded as spending little time at home; always out visiting the sick and the needy. He is credited with financially supporting many young men wishing to pursue a vocation to the priesthood.

On the practical side he improved the farmland which had been John Dalton’s endowment. He fenced it and filled in a large pit to one side of it. Mr Dalton enlarged the glebe by extending the road across the front of the chapel to the front of the house. Previously it stopped short of the chapel and turned to the right and to the rear of the house.

Fr. Crowe enjoyed an excellent relationship with John Dalton and was almost a daily guest at dinner. As Mr Dalton grew older and his eyesight faded, Fr. Crowe would stay in the evenings reading to the old man and finally saying night prayers with the family before returning home.

John Dalton died on 10 March 1837 at the age of 90 and was buried in the family mausoleum in the Chapter House of Cockersand Abbey. He left £200 in his will towards the building of a new church, £200 for the maintenance of the priest and £200 for the endowment of the school.

-oOo-

Chapter Five

Fr. Crowe had realised very soon after arriving at Thurnham that the chapel was not big enough for the size of the congregation and as early as 1826 had started an Offertory collection to raise funds. Unfortunately the collections suffered the usual fate when the object is not in view. Fr. Crowe had long term plans but that resulted in a gradual falling off of giving until by 1843 he was receiving a little as 9d. (4p) a week.

You will see from the appended subscription list that by 1840 the fund was about £700. Fr. Crowe took out a personal loan to increase it to £1000. He invested the money in the newly formed railway companies, giving a personal guarantee against failure. In 1840 he put the money into the Birmingham to Gloucester line. When he sold the shares in 1847 he was able to repay his loan and contribute £274 15s (£274.75) to the Building Fund.

At this point, it was said, God stepped in to reward all his good work.

Miss Elizabeth Dalton had succeeded to the estates of Thurnham on the death of her father. She wished to use some of her wealth for the glory of God and wrote to the Vicar Apostolic of Lancashire, the Rev Dr George Brown, offering to pay the balance of the costs of building a new church on the site of the chapel.

Naturally this was accepted without delay and in due course Fr. Crowe handed over £989. 4s 4d (£989.22) to Miss Dalton.
Miss Dalton instructed the well known church architect, Charles Hansom, and from his designs the present church was built.

On Monday 1 March 1847 Mass was celebrated in the chapel for the last time. It was demolished and the foundation stone for the new church was laid on 18 March. At that point the church was dedicated to St Thomas the Apostle only.

During the building period the congregation returned to the Hall for services.

Work proceeded through that year and the roof was installed in December in time for the winter. Through the Spring of 1848 work continued apace.

The statues by the High Altar were made by Messrs Lane and Lewis and the stained glass windows were made and installed by Wailes of Newcastle under Lyme.

Suddenly, just as all his work was coming to fruition, Fr. Crowe resigned. Rumours naturally spread and it was thought that he had a disagreement with Miss Dalton and that her private chaplain, Fr. James Shepherd was the prime mover in encouraging the breakdown of relations.

Whatever the truth, Fr James Shepherd became the new Parish priest in July 1848.

-oOo-

Chapter Six

Fr. Shepherd was born in Liverpool and studied for the priesthood at Ampleforth, near York under the Benedictines. He was one of a group of seminarians who, with the approval of the Pope, left Ampleforth and with the Right Rev Dr Baines, Vicar Apostolic of the Western District, established a rival college at Prior Park near Bath.

His health did not allow him to stay with the College and shortly after ordination he came to Thurnham Hall as Miss Dalton’s private chaplain.

His appointment as Parish Priest came just in time for him to be involved in all the work necessary to prepare the building for consecration as a church. He enlisted the assistance of a neighbouring priest, Fr. Robert Chapman and the church was ready for 29 August 1848.

The opening was reported in full in the national Catholic publication “The Tablet” and a full transcription of the report is included in the appendix. (The reporter at the time misread the alignment of the church and his report constantly refers to an East-West church when it is in fact North-South. Presumably the sun was not shining to guide him. The transcript has been corrected.)

The church was built by a builder, George Taylor, of Coventry, and his bill was £2,010. The price was not enough to guarantee the best of workmanship, however, and there were to be problems with the steeple. The total cost of building and equipping the church is estimated at £5000.

Miss Dalton presented the church with a massive Spanish style ciborium. It was bought for her by His Eminence Cardinal Wiseman for £50. Miss Gillow of Clifton Hill, gave a silver monstrance designed by A W Pugin and made by the well known silversmiths, J Hardman & Co of Birmingham. It cost £70. Mr T F Brockholes of Claughton Hall, near Garstang presented a beautiful and richly enamelled chalice, also from Hardmans.

The church opened with no debts hanging over it. Miss Dalton settled every account.

A private entrance had been built for use by Miss Dalton and the Bishop of Liverpool gave it his full approval and blessing. He also directed that a Mass should be offered on the feast day of St Elizabeth throughout Miss Dalton’s life.

-oOo-

Chapter Seven

The opening of the church was a major event in the re-establishment of the public side of Catholicism in the North West. It was the first Catholic Church built in the Lancaster area. In fact, one document of the time refers to it as “The church in Lancaster”.

The Catholic Faith had suffered nearly three centuries of persecution. The list of the “Forty Martyrs of England & Wales” is a token of the many hundreds who lost their lives, their families, and their property throughout the Country.

The Faith had never died.

The Church of St Thomas & St Elizabeth is the crowning glory of that struggle to maintain the faith and a monument to the determined people of Thurnham and District who held true to their beliefs.

Long may it remain so.

-oOo-

 

1837
John Dalton Bequest2Elizabeth RedshawJohn Brindley3182821100 APPENDICES

A.

The earliest gift towards a maintenance fund for a priest at Thurnham came from a man who worked for Mr John Hoghton-Dalton for many years. It is said to have been in 1712.

As such an act was illegal at that time, the servant handed the money to Mr Hoghton-Dalton and he used it to purchase a field. The field is described as “lying to the east of the chapel and called Madrig”.

The sum of £8 per annum was paid to the resident priest as a rent from that field. There are records of that payment being made into the 20th Century.

B.

In 1785, to enable Miss Daniel’s trustees to carry out her wishes, Mr Dalton gave to the Bishop a plot of land in the immediate vicinity of Thurnham Hall. How soon Fr Foster took possession of it is uncertain; he certainly had it in 1802 when the house was ready.

An old map of the mission mentions the land as given by Mr Dalton in 1802 but that is more probably the date on which the execution of the gift was made., The map gives the measurement as 7 acres, 2 roods and 34 perches, which infers that the old road to the east leading to a neighbouring farm had already been added to the glebe.

A memorandum executing the indenture of the conveyance to Messrs Gillow and Worswick (probably in 1817) as a donation to Fr Foster and his successors at Thurnham from time to time forever, seems to imply that the freehold was then made over. Mr Worswick’s bank, The Lancaster Banking Company, failed a few years later.

In 1825, another memorandum of communication between the Right Rev Dr Smith and John Dalton, prior to Mr Dalton signing indentures of lease and release of certain premises to the Rev G Brown and others, and in consideration of the donation to Fr Foster &c., shows that the property then passed to persons directly named by the Bishop.

C.

A List of Charitable Contributions given to Fr Foster in aid of building the Chapel, Chapel House, &c

£ S P
Robert Shepherd 5 5 0
John Swarbrick 5 5 0
Andrew Gardner 1 1 0
George Corbishley 3 3 0
Thomas Rogerson 2 2 0
John Walker 0 3 0
William Brade 1 1 0
Thomas Singleton 2 2 0
Jane Pennington 1 1 0
Thomas Pennington 2 2 0
James Park 3 3 0
Mrs Maxwell 2 2 0
Sir Thomas Brade 20 0 0
Mrs Brockholes 5 5 0
John Dalton jnr 10 0 0
James Butler 5 0 0
Rev Dr Rigby 3 3 0
Mr Brockholes 5 5 0
Robert Croskell 2 2 0
Messrs Gillow 10 0 0
Richard Worswick 10 10 0
Rev John Barrow 100 0 0
Rev Joseph Barrow 2 0 0
Mr Blundale 2 2 0
William Gardner 3 3 0
Richard Swarbrick 1 1 0
John Dalton 200 0 0
William Holt 100 0 0
Henry Roe 1 1 0
Robert Rookwood 21 0 0
Edward Edsforth 1 1 0
Mrs Sulyard 2 0 0
Francis Chadwick 5 0 0
Mr Heatley 10 0 0
Mrs Naylor 5 5 0
Thomas Wright  2 0 0
Mrs Lund 1 1 0
Lady Fitzgerald 10 0 0
Rev Richard Morgan  3 3 0
Rev James Finch 1 0 0
Thomas Shuttleworth 5 5 0
Richard Jenkinson 1 1 0
Grimshaw Lomax 5 5 0
Preston Fund 2 2 0
Thomas Green
5 0 0
John Dent MP
10 0 0
Aexander Worswick
5 5 0
Mr Ball
2 0 0
? Blanchard
1 1 0
Rev J Everard
5 0 0
Rev Edward Daniel 
3 0 0
Gentlemen of Stoneyhurst
5 0 0
Edward Mostyn
2 2 0
Edward Darsall 1 1 0
Interest on Miss Daniel Bequest  196 13 6
Stephen Tempest 5 0 0
Richard Marton 2 0 0
Sub Total 837 14 0
 
Less Rev Barrow interest
40 0 0
 
Total received up to 1802
797 14 0
 
John Dalton
50 0 0
Robert Gillow
50 0 0
Richard Worswick
50 0 0
Robert Gillow
42 13 10
Richard Worswick
42 13 10
 
Sub Total
1033 1 8
 
Fr Foster debt
555 10 3
Chasuble 
4 9 4
Chalice
5 0 0
Carpet & linen
16 0 0
 
TOTAL EXPENSE
1614 1 3

 

D.

Text of letters between Mr Dalton, Mr Gillow, Mr Worswick and Fr Foster.

i.)
“Thurnham, Sept 1st, 1817

Memorandum.

At a meeting held this day for the purpose of taking into consideration the propriety of completing the building intended for a Catholic Chapel at Thurnham aforesaid, it was agreed that subscriptions be immediately commenced for that purpose, and that the completing of the same be under the directions and inspection of Mr Gillow and Mr Worswick. That in compensation for their trouble and of their subscriptions of £50 each and of their undertaking to subscribe along with Mr Dalton one third each of the deficiency, (if any) seats in the said chapel when completed shall be reserved for them and their families and servants, paying only the annual reserved rent of one penny to the Catholic priest for the time officiating at the same for ever. The seats of the respective families of Mr Gillow and Mr Worswick to be reserved in the tribune of the said chapel in such proportions, that Mr Dalton and his family shall always be entitled to the same in the ratio of 12 to 30: the Rev Mr Foster approving the same.

(signed)
JAMES FOSTER
JOHN DALTON
ROBERT GILLOW
R WORSWICK”

ii.)
“Dear Sir, -By the agreement entered into between Mr Dalton, yourself and Mr Gillow, of which I sent you a copy, you will find that I consented to subscribe £50, and a further one-third of the remaining expense on condition that the seats in the tribune were to be reserved for the respective families of Mr Dalton, Mr Gillow and myself, Mr Dalton to be entitled to the number of seats in the ratio of 12 to 30. Mr Dalton has properly taken 3 benches, containing each 5 seats, – 15 seats. Mr Gillow has 2 benches, containing 7 and 5 seats, – 12 seats. I have only 1 bench containing 7 seats. There is a remaining bench which I consider as my property, under the agreement, and which bench I wish to let to a friend of mine. If you are desirous of having it for yourself for any purpose, you are at liberty to do so, but in that case I expect you will pay your proportion of the expense. Mr Standen has called upon me for £42 13s 10d., (having already paid him £50) but before I pay him I beg the favour of your determination. I wish, of course, for nothing but what is right, and remain with much esteem, my dear sir,

 

Yours truly
RICHARD WORSWICK

Lancaster, 24th March 1819

Footnote:

It can be questioned if Fr. Foster had the authority to agree to such an arrangement. Mr Dalton appears to have had his doubts as he wrote to the Bishop in 1825 for confirmation. The Bishop, in the spirit of the Church to its benefactors gave the arrangement his blessing. Mr Dalton included the privilege in his will. Mr Gillow eventually received a note from Fr. Crowe that his benefit had benefitted him in the sum of £92 over the years. The Gillow family then began to pay bench rents. Mr Worswick had left the area by this time.

E.

Collections and Donations on account of Building Fund for new Church at Thurnham, received and paid over by Fr. Crowe

1826 23 7 0
1827 20 16 0
1828 22 3 0
1829 21 8 0
1830 18 8 0
1831 19 13 0
1832 19 19 0
1833 20 8 6
1834 21 6 6
1835 19 6 6
1836 20 6 6
1837 18 1 6
1838 12 15 6
1839 13 7 6
1840 11 14 0
1841 9 17 6
1842 6 13 0
1843 4 8 0
TOTAL 303 17 0

Donations

£ S P
1829
Miss Bellasyse
1 1 0
1834
E & Ann Redshaw
10 0
1837
Late John Dewhurst
3 3 0
John, Arthur & Wm Dewhurst 17 0
John Gage 5 0 0
Mrs Giffard 50 0 0
Rev H Rutter 10 0 0
Thomas Singleton 3 3 0
1838
Jones of Llanarth
5 0 0
Alice Osbaldeston 10 0
Miss Woodcock 1 0 0
T F Brockholes 2 0 0
John Lupton 1 0 0
John Brindley 1 0 0
John Bushell 4 0
Duke of Hamilton 10 0 0
Ann Davies 2 0
Robert Gillow 10 0 0
Elizabeth Redshaw 5 0
Richard Gillow 10 0 0
1839
Mary Bradley
5 0
1840
Mary Bradley
5 0
1841
Mary Bradley
5 0
Alice Osbaldeston 10 0
1842
Mary Bradley
5 0
1843
Arthur Dewhurst
16 3.5
Ann Waddington 1 1
Jos. Orrell 5 0
Miss English 3 6
1844
George Corbishley
3 0
Miss English 1 0 0
Arthur Dewhurst 17 3.5
Jos. Orrell 8 6
John Simpson 4 6
Thomas Wilson 1 0
Ann Waddington 4 6
Elizabeth Redshaw 2 0
1845
Arthur Dewhurst
1 11 0
Ann Waddington 4 3.5
John Simpson 4 6
Miss English 1 0 0
Lady Fitzgerald 10 0
Elizabeth Redshaw 2 6
1846
Ann Waddington
4 4
Arthur Dewhurst 1 10 10.5
Jos. Hayes 1 0
Elizabeth Redshaw 2 6
Charles Stapleton 10 0 0
John Lambert 1 0 0
 
 TOTAL 137 2 9
1837
John Dalton Bequest
205 0 0
1826 to 1840
Bank Interest 45 16 4
Loan to Fr Crowe interest 37 9 3
Railway Stock dividends 274 15 0
TOTAL 358 0 7
Sub-totals
To collections 303 17 0
To donations 137 2 9
To bequest 205 0 0
To interest 358 0 7
Total raised by Fr Crowe 1004 0 4
Less Solicitors Fees 14 16 0
Paid to Miss Dalton 989 4 4

 

F.

The opening of the new Church as described in “The Tablet” newspaper for Saturday 9 September 1848.

“This beautiful church, founded by a good woman, Miss Elizabeth Dalton, of Thurnham and designed by Charles Hansom, Esq., architect, of Clifton, near Bristol, is erected on the site of the old chapel, near to Thurnham Hall, its foundation having been laid on the 18th day of March, last year. In so short a space of time has it risen up with all its elaborate details of buttress, arch, pillar, spire, screen and storied windows, that it may truly be said of foundress, architect and builders that ‘they have not given sleep to their eyes, slumber to their eye-lids, rest unto their temples, until they have found a place for our Lord, a tabernacle made for the God of Jacob.’ The church, which is of the highly decorated style of architecture, is a perfect revival of an old parochial country church of the fourteenth century, situated within sight of the sea, and embosomed among thick and sheltering woods.

ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION

The plan of the church consists of nave with east and west aisles, with a chapel at the south end of the former, a chancel, tower, east porch and two sacristies. The tower is placed at the north end of the east aisle, and forms the baptistery, in the centre of which stands the font. The baptistery communicates with the church by archways on two of its sides, and is lighted by a rich stained window, wherein are depicted the figures of St John the Baptist and Elias, the Baptism of our saviour, and the feeding of the Prophet by ravens. The font is octagonal, and in its compartments are represented the emblems of the four Evangelists, the Pelican, the ‘Agnus Dei’, ‘I.H.S.’, and a Cross. In the wall of the baptistery there is the aumbrey or safe, for reserving the oils connected with baptism.

CHANCEL

The chancel is divided from the nave by a beautifully carved stone screen, divided into five compartments, and surmounted by an oak rood with the figure of Our Lord, attended by his Virgin Mother and St John. The extremities of the cross have the Evangelistic symbols painted in quatrefoil panels. The screen itself is of extremely light and graceful workmanship, richly crocketted and sculptured, and upon are placed six brass standards, with lights. An arched opening in the east side of the chancel communicates with the Ladye Chapel. A mahogany screen is inserted in this arching, and has a postern to open, to give access to the chapel. This screen is highly enriched with gold and colours. The south window, high in the end wall of the chancel, to admit of an elaborately carved reredos over the high altar, which is divided into six canopied niches containing figures of angels holding the sacred monogram on a shield in quatrefoil, and at the top is a sculptured cornice of angels and flowers surmounted by an elegant open brattishing of carved stone. The tabernacle is in the centre of the reredos and consists of two parts, the lower containing the tabernacle which is of wrought iron, with elaborately engraved and gilded doors, enriched with enamels and precious stones. Over this is a canopied recess for the exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, surmounted by crocketted gable and pinnacles.

The high altar is divided into three larger and two smaller sculptured panels:- in the former are carried three subjects from the Passion of Our Lord, and the two latter contain angels holding scrolls. On each side of the altar window is an exquisite niche with carved corbel and a rich canopy running up nearly to the roof, containing respectively statues of St Thomas the Apostle and St Elizabeth of Hungary, the patrons of the Church. The south window is four lights wide, and contains eleven subjects from the life of Our Lord, commencing with his baptism by St John and terminating with his most glorious Resurrection. The call of St Thomas, and appearance of Our Saviour to him after the Resurrection, when he was invited to put out his hand and touch the sacred wounds and which caused St Thomas to exclaim ‘My Lord and My God’ are carefully and prominently portrayed. The ceiling of the chancel is panelled in wood and gorgeously decorated in gold and colours. There are eight panels, and each contain some holy emblem or monogram in a quatrefoil on a rich deep blue ground, relieved by stars. The arms of the foundress, of the present and the late Pope, and of the Bishop of the district, also appear towards the southern end of the ceiling. An inscription in gold on a blue ground is inscribed in the cornice on each side, and consists of the first and third verses of the psalm ‘Quam delicta &c.’ Over the chancel arch is a splendid painting of the ‘Doom’ or last judgement, in rich colours, by H. Doyle*, Esq. of London, a young and rising artist. Our Saviour is seen in the centre, having the Blessed Virgin on his right hand and St John the Baptist on his left with the twelve Apostles- six on each side. On one hand appears a group of angels driving the condemned to hell, on the other a similar group receiving and embracing the blessed. Over the point of the arch is painted an angel holding open the Book of Life, and on each side an angel blowing a trumpet. The glory around Our saviour’s figure is surrounded with angels bearing emblems. This, it may be stated, is the first picture of its kind which has been painted in any church in England since the period of the ‘Reformation’. The sedilia are placed in the usual position in the west side, and consist of three deeply recessed arches, with a smaller one to the north for the sacrarium. An opening in the back of the sedilia into the sacristy enables the sacristan to observe all that is passing in the chancel.

There is a window on the east side of the chancel containing the figures of the two patron saints of the church. On the west side, a door communicates with the two sacristies, which are of ample size, and fitted up with vestments, chests, presses, &c., in the most convenient manner. These sacristies also communicate most conveniently with the Priest’s house and church by a corridor.

*(Footnote to this paragraph: Henry Edward Doyle, 1826 – 1892, was an uncle of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. He became Director of the National Gallery of Ireland in Dublin. He painted another ‘Doom’ or Judgement Day for above the chancel arch of the Church of the Annunciation in Woodchester, near Stroud, Glos. The foundation stone of that church was laid in 1846 but it was not opened until 1849. The chances are excellent that the Thurnham painting is the first one. Incidentally, the architect of the other church was also Charles Hansom)

THE ‘LADYE’ CHAPEL

The ‘Ladye’ Chapel, as before-mentioned, is at the south end of the east aisle, and is separated from it by a richly carved stone screen with a crocketted gable in the centre, surmounted by an exquisite figure of our Blessed Lady with the

Infant Jesus in her arms. The altar is carved in three compartments, representing the Annunciation, with an elaborately carved flower vase and lilies in the centre. The spandrels are filled with adoring angels. The altar window consists of three lights, the centre one having a figure of Our Blessed Lady and Child, and the side filled with medallions comprising subjects from the life of the Blessed Virgin. At the bottom of the centre light is a kneeling figure of the foundress, holding the church in her hand, which she is presenting as an offering to the Queen of Heaven, and an inscription begging the prayers of the faithful for the good estate of Elizabeth Dalton, runs along the bottom of the window.
The side window exhibits the figures of St John and St Etheldreda, the respective patrons of Miss Dalton’s father and mother, with their arms below. The ceiling is enriched with gold and colours in ornamental patterns and stars, and the rafters are ornamented in like manner. An inscription runs along the wall, being the first verse of the ‘Magnificat’. The floor is laid with the richest encaustic tiles, divided into panels, and having the arms of the foundress at every intersection.

THE NAVE

The nave is divided from the aisles by simple circular pillars and chamfered arches, four on each side, and a portion is benched with low open seats of ancient design. The roofs are all open, and the effect of the interlacing rafters of the nave roof is particularly striking and beautiful. The north window contains a figure in each of its three lights, viz. St Cecilia in the centre, with St George and St Michael on each side, with their respective emblems and accompaniments, in the lower part are the arms of Miss Dalton and the two Bishops of the district.
The clerestory windows are a small quatrefoil, and filled with angels playing on musical instruments – forming the heavenly choir. The aisle windows are also filled with stained glass, but of simpler design, having circles with monograms of Miss Dalton’s friends and sacred emblems. The one at the north end of the west aisle is of a more elaborate description, and contains three figures – the patron saints of Miss English, Major Stapleton and the Architect, with their several monograms below.

A new and peculiarly beautiful feature of this church is the Fourteen Stations of the Cross, which are in bas relief, and introduced into rich panels in the walls of the aisles. The choir, with the organ, is placed at the north end of the nave, and is ascended by a circular staircase from the porch. The organ, although small, is of an exceedingly mellow tone. In the second stage of the tower is the chamber containing the machinery for ringing the ‘Angelus’, or tune after it, at three stated periods of the day. Above, is the belfry, which contains five splendidly toned bells, hung in an oak frame, and cast by Mr John Taylor, of Loughborough. The sweet and silvery music of ‘Hark, the Vesper Hymn is stealing’ is chimed with pleasing effect and variation upon them. They were blessed on the 11 July by the Right Rev. Dr Brown and each bell has its appropriate inscription. On the treble bell is the following – ‘protégé, pura, pia, quos convoco, Virgin Mary’; on the tenor, or Angelus bell – ‘Ave Maria, gratia plena’; on the third,’Coelorum Christe placeat tibi rex sonus iste’; and on each of the others –‘Sancte Thoma, ora pro nobis’ and ‘Sancta Elizabetha, ora pro nobis’.

THE SPIRE

The spire rises to the height of one hundred feet terminating with a brass cross, and is designed from the best models now remaining in England, but particularly from those in the county of Northampton, and its graceful tapering form is a new feature in the surrounding landscape. Viewed from the Lancaster and Preston line of railway, at the Galgate Station, whence along the canal is the directest way to the church, the spire is a conspicuous and interesting object.

The exterior of the church is built of stone from Miss Dalton’s quarry, near Lancaster; and is constructed with dressed quoins, mouldings &c., and filled with rubble, pointed with dark mortar, which gives it the effect of an ancient church even at this early period. The several gables terminate with beautifully floriated crosses. The internal dimensions of nave and aisles are 65 feet by 38, of the chancel 25 feet by 16, and accommodation is provided for 400 persons.
The churchyard is surrounded by a low wall of ancient proportions, and is entered by a lych gate of wood on a stone base as high as the wall. It is of large dimensions and antique structure, and is provided with a lych stone whereon to rest the coffin, while waiting for the priest and attendants. Near the church is a churchyard cross, on a base of three steps, having a richly floriated head with the figure of Our Lord upon it. The base stone (it is worthy of remark) is the same stone which stood for many ages, and fulfilled the same office in the Monks’ cemetery at Cockersand Abbey. This abbey, the demesnes of which have descended by inheritance to the Dalton family, is situated not far from Thurnham Hall, on a neck of land which projects into the sea, on the sands of Cocker. The ruined pile is used as the burial-place of the Daltons, having belonged formerly to the Premonstratensian order of Monks, and called the Monastery of St Mary. The churchyard is laid out with much picturesque and effect being covered with soft grassy turf, and planted with poplars, box and yew trees, those venerable appurtenances of the ‘field of the dead’, shady lanes and serpentine walks, lead from the sacred edifice to the Hall. The situation, from its silence and retirement amidst the deep woods which surround Thurnham Hall is admirably adapted for contemplation and prayer. Over the east porch is a niche, in which there will be placed a figure of Our Lord blessing those who enter into his temple. Its architect is C. Hansom, Esq.; the builder, Mr Geo. Taylor, of Coventry. The stained glass was manufactured from the architect’s designs, by Mr Wailes, of Newcastle–on-Tyne. The altars and other carvings are by Mr Myers, of London; the decoration and gilding, by Mr Souter, of Birmingham; the bell chimes, by Mr Meeyer, of Bristol; and the brass and goldsmiths work, by Mr Hardman, of Birmingham. The furniture of the church is very costly: the remonstrance, chalice and cruets are of gold and silver, enriched with precious stones, and were presented to the church by personal friends of the foundress.

THE CONSECRATION

On the feast of the Beheading of St John the Baptist this church was solemnly consecrated by the Right Rev.The Vicar Apostolic of the Lancashire District. The Deacon alone being left in the church, the gates were closed, while the Bishop with his train surrounded it, blessing the various parts without. Then, according to the forms prescribed in the Ritual, the prelate knocked again and again, praying for admission, which request is severally refused by the Deacon inside

the church, thus symbolising how the great and the noble, who are without the pale of the church, may meet a repulse from the more humble within. At last, the crowd of clergy, sighing for the Tabernacle of the Lord, cry out with a louder voice, ‘Aperite, Aperite, Aperite!’. The persevering prayer is heard: the justice of heaven is turned into a flood of mercy, the doors are opened and unworthy man takes possession of the land of promise. Each and every part of the interior was then anointed and dedicated to the service of God in language too sublime for description, but every Christian heart will be well recompensed by a perusal of the prayers which the Roman Pontifical prescribes. The marriage feast was now prepared; yea, and the skies laid aside their mourning robes, and all nature obeyed the divine summons to attend in wedding garments. Through every window flowed a stream of light more brilliant, more mellow than ever flowed before, like so many golden chains of communication between the angels above and the devout within; for the Church militant on earth is merely severed from the Church triumphant in heaven by the thin veil of mortality, which is no bar to the communion of spirit. As a symbol of this communion, the bells immediately sent forth their first united song, bearing on their breath the prayers of many a fervent heart, soaring with them to the gate of heaven, and there uniting them to the melody of the celestial choirs. As a glorious climax, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass was offered up for the first time within those now sacred walls. At the words of consecration the Son of God made that fair altar his own throne, whilst upon every one, showering around choicest benedictions.

THE OPENING

On the following day, Wednesday, August 30th, the church was opened with all the splendour and holiness which becometh the House of God. The day was a joyful one for the Catholics of Thurnham; their labour of love and piety was completed; they had built a house, not for man but for God; and were now hastening, young and old, with cheerful hearts, through the meadows, woods and cornfields, to assist at the solemn opening. The morning, the first fair morning of the autumn season, was bright and beautiful, and the sun shone with unclouded effulgence. As the hour for commencing the solemn rites of the opening approached, the bells sent forth a louder strain, and, we beheld, issuing from the old baronial Hall of Thurnham, a procession of Bishops, Priests, Acolytes, Choristers and girls in veils and white apparel, slowly advancing towards the church. Clouds of incense arose as the procession moved between the trees, cross and banner gleaming in the sunshine, and the chants of hymns resounding in the air. ‘Vexilla Regis prodeunt’, ‘Fulgit cruces mysterium’.

The order of the procession was as follows:

Thurifer
Cross-bearer: Rev W. Worsley Two Acolytes
Banner of the Blessed Virgin,
borne by a girl in blue mantilla and white cap and veil, attended by two children Twenty girls in caps and white veils
Female singers without veils Banner of the Cross,
borne by a young man in cloak and guild-colour, with Cross appended, and supported by two boys similarly attiredEighteen boys in cloaks, and wearing Guild crosses Tenor and Bass singers
Boys in surplices Clergy in caps and surplices
Clergy in copes:
Rev H Brewer, Rev J G Morris, Rev J B Marsh Right Rev. Dr Sharples, the Coadjutor Bishop with his Chaplain, Rev George Fisher
Right Rev Dr Briggs, with his Chaplain, Rev W Henderson Rev R Turpin, Sub-Deacon of the Mass
Rev W Cooper, Deacon of the Mass Very Rev H Gradwell, VG, Assistant Priest
Rev T Cookson and Rev E Browne, Deacons of the Throne Celebrant: The Right Rev Dr Brown
Train-bearer and other attendants Master of Ceremonies: Rev R Chapman

Among the Assistant Clergy were:- The Rev F English, DD., the Rev T Weston, W Knight, M Hickey, P Orrell, J Boardman, R Frith, R Gillow (Fernyhalgh), R Gillow (Euxton), J Abraham, J Walker, T Walker, J Meany, W J Sheehan, J Coulston, R Harvey, W Lomax, E Walmsley, J Walmsley (Lytham), and PL Ferrara (London).

Among the principal laity present on the occasion, we observed:- Miss Dalton, Lady Fitzgerald, Miss Fitzgerald, The Misses English, Phipps and Browne, Major Stapleton, G Weld, Esq., Mrs and Miss Weld, R Gillow Esq., R Gillow, Esq. Jun. and lady, W Gillow, Esq. and lady, ? Markland Esq., ? Bowden, Esq., F Brockholes Esq., John Bushell Esq., F Eyston Esq.(Overbury), and V English, Esq., John Lomax Esq., and lady, Mrs T Lomax, Mr and Mrs English, &c.

The psalm ‘Quam dilecta’, &c., and the hymn ‘Ave Maris Stella’ were sung as the procession moved along, the bells of the church ringing all the while sonorous and joyful peals. The procession entering by the north door of the church, advanced up the nave, and having reached the chancel, the train of priests and Ministers of the altar take their places in and around the sanctuary. As we glanced around the church at this moment and beheld its beauty, as that of a Queen ‘in gilded clothing, surrounded by variety’ our mind was filled with awe and reverence, and a love for the house where the Majesty of God was about to dwell: ‘How beautiful are thy tabernacles, O Jacob, and thy tents, O Israel.’

The swelling notes of the organ now burst forth, and the celebration of solemn Mass is commenced by the Bishop, the ‘Kyrie’ and ‘Gloria in Excelsis’ are sung by the choir, the Epistle and Gospel by the Sub-Deacon and Deacon. Then, having received the Bishop’s blessing, the Rev Dr English, in surplice and stole adorned with gold and pearls, proceeded to the entrance of the chancel and delivered an excellent discourse from the following text:- ‘Be you also as living stones built up, a spiritual house, a holy Priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God by Jesus Christ!’ – 1 Ep. St Peter, ii,5. The leading idea of the sermon consisted of a beautiful parallel between the history of the Jewish and Christian Churches. It concluded by an earnest exhortation to pray for the foundress of the beautiful church in which they were assembled for prayer. If they were ‘living stones’ they would rejoice and triumph in the completion of the sacred edifice,  and  ask  the  blessing  of  Heaven  in  behalf  of  their  munificent

benefactress. After the Deacon had chanted the ‘Confiteor’, the Indulgence was granted by the Bishop to all present and the sacrificial rites proceeded. The musical part was chiefly from Haydn and Mozart, and at the Offertory and Elevation ‘O Salutaris Hostia’ and ‘O Jesu’ were given a thrilling effect. Miss Whitnall, Messrs Ryalls and Morrow, Liverpool, and Mrs Wall, Lancaster, assisted in the choir: Mr Wall presided at the organ.

The Bishop having blessed the people, the service concluded with the Gregorian ‘Te Deum’, the voices of Priests and people joining in the strain.
Long after the morning solemnities, numbers tarried to feast their eyes on the beautiful building, and their ears on the sound of its bells. Others departed to partake of Miss Dalton’s hospitality.

Evening approached- ‘an eve beautiful as the good man’s quiet end. The holy time is quiet as a Nun breathless with adoration, the broad sun is sinking down in its tranquillity: the gentleness of Heaven is on the sea; listen!’ ‘Tis the ‘Ave Maria’ echoing sweetly through the trees as the procession with cross and banner again leaves the Hall, on its way to the church for Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.

We followed the procession to the church, which was brilliantly lighted up in sanctuary and aisles for the solemn service which was about to commence. Several sacred pieces having been sung by the choir, the Rev George Gillow preached an eloquent sermon on the Catholic belief in the Real Presence, from 1 Paralip., xv., 28,29.
Benediction was then given, the Right Rev Drs Brown, Sharples and Briggs assisting at the service.

Thus ended the festival of the opening of this Church of SS. Thomas and Elizabeth, of Thurnham. Upon a brass plate in the east aisle on the top of which are engraved the arms of the foundress supported by angels, is the following inscription in red and black letters:- This church was founded by the good lady Miss Elizabeth Dalton, and solemnly dedicated by the Right Rev. Father in God George Brown, VA of the Lancashire District, on the twenty-ninth day of August
A.d. MDCCCXLVIII., under the invocation of St Thomas the apostle and St Elizabeth of Hungary, the Architect being C Hansom Esq., and the Builder Mr George Taylor. In token whereof the Catholics of Thurnham have set up this brass, and humbly beg the prayers of the faithful for the good estate of the pious foundress.’

Preston R.L.R.”

Thurnham, LA2 0DT